Please Note: This entry is under development (I am still working on adding the screenshots).
I wanted to thank everyone for the interest in the TILT Board project. I have received several requests for the archive files that we used to create Blackboard. I have assisted a number of libraries in there efforts to import TILT into their local Blackboard system. In an effort to further promote development, I have taken some time to create a set of directions that will assist other libraries to create such a course. Please write me and let me know if this information is helpful or if you have questions or suggestions.
Requirements: Blackboard 6.0+ (basic or enterprise edition). Some sort of file compression/expansion utility such as PKZip, ZipGenius
Download the three files--two files for each module. Please note that I have still not imported module 3 into Blackboard.
Click below to go to the downloads page:
Download the files: 'TILTBoard_Module1', 'TILTBoard_Module2', and 'Assessment_Module1&2.' Next, you will import the file(s) marked as 'assessment' into your Blackboard course. Once the assessment has been imported, you will copy and paste the direct Assessment URL into the last page of module 1 and 2. Once the module files have been edited (including the direct link to the Blackboard assessment and any local customization), you can these two packages into your Blackboard course.
1) If you have not done so already, have your Blackboard system administrator set up a blank course for you.
2) Download the files: TiltBoard_Module1, TILTBoard_Module2, and Assessment_Module1&2. Put the files TILTBoard_Module1 and TILTBoard_Module2 on the desktop-we will work with these files later. TILTBoard_Module1 and TILTBoard_Module2 are compressed files that contain all the HTML files that comprise the content portion of both TILT Module 1 and 2.
3) To start things off, we are going to load the assessment package into the Blackboard course before we import the actual TILT content-an action that seems counter-intuitive (somewhat like eating dessert before the main course). You will see why we are doing this in just a few minutes.
4) Login to your campus Blackboard system. Click on the link to your course (that your BlackBoard administrator set up for you) under the heading 'My Courses.' Next, Click on the 'Control Panel.'
5) In the Control Panel, click on 'Import Package' under the heading 'Course Options.'
The next page is the 'Import Package' screen. On this screen you will browse to the file 'Assessment Module1&2.'
6) On the 'Import Package' screen check the box 'Tests, Surveys and Pools' under the heading 'Select Course Materials.' Click on the submit button at the button of the screen.
7) Once this process has completed click on the 'OK' button. You should be back at the main page of the 'Control Panel'
8) At the main Control Panel, click on 'Test Manager' under the
'Assessment' heading. Under 'Test Manager', you should see 'TILT Board
Module 2 Quiz' and 'TILT Board Module 1 Quiz'. If you do not see these
two quizzes, you may need to go back and re-import the quizzes.
The next several steps will make these quizzes 'Available.' Please notice that the two quizzes have been imported, but that they have not been 'deployed.' The next step is to make these quizzes available to the end-user.
9) Go back to the Control Panel and click on 'assignments' under the heading 'content areas.' Click on the 'Add Test' icon near the top of the screen.
10) Add TILT Board Module 1 Quiz by clicking on the text link 'TILT Board Module 1' quiz and hitting the submit button at the bottom of the screen.
11) Go back to the 'Control Panel' by clicking on the 'Control Panel' near the top of the screen.
12) Click on 'assignments' hyperlink under the heading 'content areas.'
13) Notice the text that says 'This item is not yet available.' Click on the 'modify' button on the right side of the screen.
14) Click on the hyperlink that says 'modify test options'
On the 'test options' screen, click on the button 'yes' to the question; 'Do you want to make the link visible?'
15) Check the box that says 'allow multiple attempts'
16) Under 'test feedback', click on the 'Detailed Results, Correct Answers and Feedback' button.
17) Under 'test presentation' click on the button that says 'One at a time'. Check the box that says 'Prohibit backtracking.' Also, check the box that says 'Randomize Questions.' Click the 'submit' button.
Go back and perform steps (9--17) for the module 2 Quiz.
At this point you have imported two Blackboard assessments. The next step is to copy and paste the persistent URL(s) that are assigned to the quiz(s) to the last page of the each module. Persistent URLs became viable in Blackboard 6+. Persistent URLs allow the patron to jump from the 'course documents' section right to the assessment.
18) Go back to the main course page. When you get back to the main
course page, click on the 'assignments' link on the left navigation
link. On the next page, you should see a link that says 'TILT Board
Module 1 Quiz.' Position the pointer directly over this hyperlink and
right-click. Choose the menu option 'Copy Shortcut'. Paste this
words, get rid of all the scripting except for the address that looks
Copy this address into the clipboard.
You have just copied the persistent URL that links directly to the Module 1 assessment. You will now paste this hyperlink into the last page of the module 1 tutorial.
19) Go to the desktop and unzip the file called TILTBoard_Module1. Find the folder called 'Module1' In this folder is a file called PreQuiz.htm. Open up the source of this file and find the text that looks like this:
value='Go To The Test' onClick='MM_goToURL('parent','/webapps/assessment/take/launch.jsp?course_assessment_id=_2364_1&course_id=_2369_1')
20) Delete the directory that is in the single quotes (the URL that starts with '/Webapps' and ends with a cryptic number).
21) Paste the URL that you copied from the Blackboard course between the single quotes. Make sure the URL starts with '/Webapps' and ends with the cryptic number (FYI, this cryptic number is actually the internal course ID of your blackboard course). At this point, you have created a direct link from the tutorial content to the Blackboard assessment. Now it is your turn to make any local changes or customizations to the content in the TILT_Module 1. You will also need to repeat steps (18--21) for module 2.
Final Step-Import The TILT Content
22) After you have made changes to the TILT files in module1, Compress or re-zip all the files that comprise TILTBoard_Module1 and name it 'TILTBoard_Module1.
23) Next, point your browser to the Control Panel in your course. Click on 'Course Documents' under 'Content Areas.' On the next screen, Click on 'Add Item'
24) On the next screen there are several options, for the moment, we are only going to work on the options under 'Content' in the middle of the screen. In the 'File To Attach' field click the browse button and locate 'TILTBoard_Module1'. In the 'Name Of Link To File' field type 'TILT Module 1'. Under 'Special Action' choose 'Unpackage This File'. At the bottom of the screen click on the 'Submit' button.
25) It should take a few seconds for the next screen to load. On the next screen, the Blackboard system will prompt you to specify an entry point for TILT Module 1. Look carefully and highlight the file: 'intro/TILT_Module_1.htm' Leave all the other services alone and click on the submit button.
You now have a fully functioning Module 1. You will need to repeat steps 22--25 for Module 2.
(Originally posted July 14, 2004)